8208 106 Street
Edmonton, AB T6E 6R9
Telephone (780) 434-6111
Managed by Crescent Hotels & Resorts
Varscona Hotel on Whyte
Varscona Hotel on Whyte
89 Room Hotel
Varscona Hotel on Whyte is a charming lifestyle hotel providing a warm and comfortable hospitality experience to those looking for a home away from home when they travel. Situated in the heart of Edmonton’s historic Old Strathcona, and nestled amongst numerous restaurants, boutiques and theatres blending bohemian panache with contemporary chic. This central location provides easy access to the University of Alberta, downtown and south Edmonton business and government districts. The Edmonton river valley is a few blocks away and offers miles of cycling and walking paths, parks and off leash areas.
Varscona Hotel on Whyte
Matrix Hotel, & the Varscona & Metterra Hotels on Whyte are looking for an exciting & enthusiastic addition to our maintenance team!
The Maintenance Technician is a front line professional that welcomes guests by maintaining all areas of the building, with an emphasis on the guest rooms. The Maintenance Technician must represent the hotel through excellence in service, skill and efficiency. The Maintenance Technician is required to maintain a flexible schedule and be available to weekends and holidays. Work hours will be based on business levels & may fluctuate.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist with preventative maintenance and complete report work orders such as replacing ceiling tiles, light bulbs, patching vinyl, etc., to maintain the hotel and keep the product quality standard.
- Perform preventative maintenance assignments on a scheduled basis (e.g., "room care").
- Coordinate any repair work with Housekeeping Department and/or outside trades. Communicates room status changes to the Guest Services and Housekeeping Departments in the event of damages or repairs requiring rooms to be out of service.
- Assist in checking electrical systems such as air conditioning controls, television sets, lighting systems, and make minor repairs and/or replacement.
- Assist in checking and making routine repairs and assist on major repairs of all hotel equipment including small appliances, kitchen equipment, laundry equipment, boilers, HVAC, hand and power tools and general plumbing systems and fixtures such as pipe lines, toilets and sinks, kitchen and laundry equipment.
- Maintain the building exterior and "curb appeal" (e.g., snow removal, lawn care, painting, gardening, pressure washing, etc…).
- Refurbish furniture and fixtures within guest rooms such as cabinets, tables, chairs, doors windows and counters. Paint and finish furniture and fixtures if needed.
- Respond in a courteous manner to all guest questions, complaints, and/or requests to ensure strong guest satisfaction.
- Exposure to extreme temperatures.
- Operation of heavy machinery.
- Comply with attendance rules and be available to work on a regular basis.
- Perform any other job related duties as assigned.
- 2 years’ experience in building operations with Hotel or like required.
- Must be able to recognize potential safety hazards and security problems in the hotel and act upon each accordingly.
- Be skilled in several areas such as HVAC, electrical, carpentry, drywalling, painting, plumbing, roofing, and landscaping.
- Must be able to troubleshoot and repair routine mechanical and electrical malfunctions in hotel systems and equipment.
- Must be willing and able to be responsive to complaints about maintenance.
- Climbing, reading, standing, walking and routinely lifting 25 lbs to 50 lbs.
- Ability to understand and follow directions, and perform job functions under limited supervision.
- Fluent in English (written and oral).
Must be completely familiar with the role during hotel emergencies, including fire alarms, medical emergencies, the use of Incident Reports and Logbooks.
Must be able to work varied shift work, including weekends and holidays.
- Strong problem solving, analytical, creative thinking, attention to detail and decision-making skills
- Security clearance required upon offer of employment.
- All successful candidates will be required to show proof of full vaccination upon hire. The Company will provide reasonable accommodation to any individual who is not able to comply with this vaccination requirement due to a disability or other ground protected by applicable human rights legislation.
- Self-starting personality with an even disposition.
- Maintain a professional appearance and manner at all times.
- Highly organized, results oriented and ability to work in a multi-functional team environment.
- Must be completely familiar with the role during hotel emergencies, including fire alarms, medical emergencies, the use of Incident Reports and Logbooks.
- Provincial legislation requires employees to work safely and cooperate with their employer by following the health and safety rules for the job.
OUR DIFFERENCES ARE WHAT MAKE US GREAT
At Crescent Hotels & Resorts we strive to create a great place to work where associates at all levels of our organization are respected for their differences, just like the guests and owners we serve.
That’s why we are dedicated to creating an environment that facilitates open and honest conversations about race, equity, diversity, and inclusion. By examining our own beliefs and behaviors, we can create change through training, recruiting, and promoting diverse talent to strengthen our culture.